Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shin Splints

On Saturday I ran a quick 4 miles out-n-back. I kept an under-8 minute pace while running, mixing with walk breaks every few minutes. It was a beautiful day, about 39F with a slight breeze, clear and sunny, some snow on the ground.

The only way to get increased cardio function is to push the body to need increased cardio function. If I keep it up everything will get better. But boy did my shins hurt.

Running faster causes me to lengthen my stride, which subjects my tibialis anterior muscle (the one that hurts on the outside front of the shin) to stretching even while it is in a contraction. And it hurts the muscle to get pulled apart when it is contracting and trying to shorten up. Hence the pain. Ice and anti-inflamatories help as with all muscle injuries.

The Rx: slower, fewer miles with a shorter stride until the shins are up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment