Friday, June 27, 2008

14 mile trail run redux

Today's run was a repeat of last week's route over the W&OD and CCT trails. Better, this week I knew where to go after the water stop so I could complete the trail without retracing my steps.

Humidity at 7am was in the 90% range, and the temperature was already in the low 80s. The CCT is for the most part a stream-bed based trail (meaning it snakes along parallel to or using the stream bed area) so there is less direct sun, reducing the heat. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of air movement or evaporation down there either and the humidity was just unbelievable!

Early into the run Tim twisted his ankle while transitioning from the road to a curb; he looked ok and could walk on it initially. He didn't pass me and I'm pretty slow so he must have gone back to his car without running the course.

Aside from the humidity, it was a straightforward run and I finished in ##:##. I drank 6 bottles of water total on the course, consumed some gatorade and very little otherwise (although there were some tasty red seedless grapes at the water stop!), and finished wringing wet. Yet I think I kept up with it, because I was only down about 5 pounds net when I got home.

So another running success story!

No comments:

Post a Comment