Saturday, March 7, 2009

Confuseled

I'm being confuseled by the Suunto. According to its auto-calculate, it puts my experience through its formulas and tells me I'm a national-class athlete. Wouldn't THAT be nice! When I take any single workout I've done and analyze the numbers against the tables, it tells me that I'm a typical weekend warrior. There's a world of difference being able to keep up a 5.5 min/mile pace for 12 minutes, and keep up an 8 min/mile pace for 12 minutes.

I don't know what gives. I'm inclined to use the lower numbers for conservatism' sake. The downside there is that I won't improve as fast if I am always setting the bar low so that every effort looks like a huge percentage of my capacity. On the other hand, I will needlessly tire myself out and not recover sufficiently if the number is too high. It will be like "oh, you only need a day to recover from this 80-mile death march, plan on more the next day". And I will get injured and go nowhere.

There's lots on the internet about how use the older t6 model, but not very much on the t6c. I don't have a good sense on how similar they are in terms of data and algorithm.

I hope that Shamrock will provide me with some good data points to use that I can make some sense out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment