Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Philadelphia Run Plan

I've come up with a run plan that vaguely makes sense.

The race starts at 10am.
The forecast is for low 80s during the day, 58 at night.
High humidity.
Thunderstorms are likely in the afternoon.

So.
I'm going to run at a 17-minute pace through about 8pm.
I've allocated a 20-minute pace from 2 through 4pm if necessary.
Then I need to pick up the pace and get in some miles through 8am.
Then I will run at whatever pace I feel like, depending upon the miles I've completed.

The overall goal for me is to stay hydrated and make positive progress while the temperature is higher.
A consistent 15-minute average pace will allow me to finish the race at exactly 100 miles.
Really, that's not very fast.
A 17-minute pace is not that much slower than a 15-minute pace.
I should be no more than 2 hours behind by 12am (meaning the race is half over at 10pm but I won't be at the half-way mark until 12am).

But I am counting on being able to make up for lost time after that. I need to work the kinks out of my legs and get going. If I can't keep up a 12-minute pace I won't be able to finish my 100 miles. A 12-minute mile isn't that fast, normally. After 12 hours on my feet and a thunderstorm, I suspect it will seem kinda fast.

I'm also counting on not losing any time to a thunderstorm. The forecast is for 40% chance of rain, meaning that only 4 in 10 of the raindrops will hit me. There is a protocol for clearing people off the course in case of thunderstorm. I just don't know what they consider   sufficient thunderstorm to close the course. 

The other reason they might close the course would be due to a high heat index. There's a protocol that calls for the course to close when the heat index rises to dangerous levels. So that could also set me back.

Well, at least I have a plan to work from now.

I need to draw up a list of what clothing and other supplies to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment