Sunday, July 26, 2009

More recollections from the Lone Ranger 24hr Run

Two interactions at aid stations come to mind:

The first one was at the R1 aid station after dark, so that's maybe
9:00pm. There were three aid station voluteers. The first aid station
volunteer said "Welcome, what do you need?" and I replied "Can you
please fill my water bottle up with ice water?" The volunteer said
"Water is over there and ice is in the bag". So I went to the next
volunteer and I said "Can you please fill my water bottle up with ice
water?" and she gave me a confused look. So I went to the last
volunteer and I said "Can you please fill my water bottle up with ice
water? I can't do it myself." And she did it. I explained to her as
she was filling it that after 11 hours of running most people are
happy being able to open the top & drink out of it, let alone screw
open the top. And she wished me well and off I went. Someone needs to
give the volunteers an idea of what physical/mental state the runners
are in, if they are going to be really helpful.

The second incident was at the R3 aid station on either my last or
next-t-last loop. The volunteer came to meet me and said "How are you
doing? How do you feel?" I said "Have you ever seen Monty Python and
the Holy Grail?" He give me a surprised look and says "Yeah, I've seen
it." And I said "Do you remember the Black Knight routine?" And he
says "Yeah, I remember the Black Knight." And I said "So I feel just
fine!" And he laughed and I laughed and that laughter picked me up so
much, it was worth gold.

(For those who haven't seen it, paraphrased: the King meets the Black
Knight who challenges him to combat. The Black Knight's right arm is
cut off. "It's only a scratch. Fight me, you coward." The Black
Knight's left arm is cut off. "It's only a flesh wound. Fight me, you
big coward." The Black Knight's legs are cut off and the King starts
to leave. The Black Knight is standing on two leg stumps with no arms
and says "Come back here you sissy and fight like a man, and I'll bite
your kneecaps off".
The quotes are not exact, but you get the point: The Black Knight
feels fine and is ready for combat.)

--
Sent from my mobile device

Peter
http://peter-peter-blog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment