Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Smith's Switch Station

Tonight I took another trip to Smith's Switch Station. The station was (I assume) a switching post on the W&OD when there was still a railroad on it. Now that the trail is a multi-use recreational trail, the Station consists of 2 porta-potties, a water fountain, and two soda machines with sports drink in them. Also some tables, benches, and bike racks. The station is about mile 25.75 on the W&OD.

I left shortly after 8pm when the sun was already going down and the trail was in twilight. Well before I got to the station the trail was dark, or at least what passes for dark in these parts. Tonight was overcast so the orange glow from the sodium vapor lights reflected off the low clouds and illuminated the trail well enough to run by. It was too dark to read, and I couldn't read my watch, but it was plenty light enough to see the trail, trail edge, and center line.

Once past Route 28 (where there is some more pasture being torn up for some new construction or another) the environment quickly changes to something reminiscent of Loudon County's past. Just the voices of crickets and frogs and katydids and katydidn'ts and whatever other bug makes a sound at night. It was a regular orchestra. And the fireflies were out in force, lighting my way. It was great!! Just me and the night.

I got to the station, refilled my water bottle and drank it down, and then refilled it a second time. Then it was off to home.

There are several data centers along the way. You can tell they are data centers by the massive cooling towers in the back and the 50,000 gallon diesel tanks around back. I was surprised that one of them didn't appear to have any fencing around the back courtyard area. That's odd.

I saw a few other people on the way. A young couple bicycling slowly along in the dark, and a couple of speed racer bicyclists flying along in the dark. Everyone had blinky warning lights which was great to see. And other than that it was very very peaceful and quiet. Just perfect.

The distance is about 13.25 miles, and I made the out-n-back in about 2:10 or so. I used a run-walk interval the entire way, 2:00 run and 1:00 walk. My legs are nicely sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment