Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back on My Feet MCM Training Run

My work has started a group of "Fund-Racers" who are going to raise money for Back on My Feet in exchange for entrance into the Marine Corps Marathon. (BOMF helps homeless folks get "back on their feet" through the power of running).

I've volunteered to help coach, and I'm starting some of the Reston area training runs. Tonight was the first after-work organized training run.

It was 89F and pretty humid at 6:30. Jeff and Christina joined me at the meeting spot near our work offices, we waited a few more minutes, and then we were off. We decided to go on the W&OD trail because it was convenient. By the time we reached the trail, we had agreed on a six-mile run at about an 11 minute/mile pace.

We completed our 6 miles (and a little bit) with some good conversation and a couple of water breaks. While I tried to keep the run at an 11 min/mile, the average ended up more in the 12 min/mile range. The most interesting wildlife siting was a white-n-brown rabbit, eating grass and watching us go by. There was also a great sunset. On the run I saw Ellen from Reston Runners (who was pedaling vs running) and someone commented on my shirt from the Back on My Feet 20-in-24 Run two weekends ago, saying that he had run in that run also.

The next run will be on Thursday with the Reston Runners starting from the Potomac River Running store in Reston Town Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment