Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why haven't I been posting in August?

So the question is "why haven't I been posting in August after that bad run? Certainly I didn't just give up running." No, but I did give myself a whole week with no running to rest, and after that I only ran a few times and each of them just 3 miles or so.

When I get that close to a race I am looking forward to so much, and have an event happen that might turn into a show-stopping injury, I become very conservative about my running. The best way I can guarantee that my body will be running the morning of the race is to stay away from all running until then. So I get out a couple of times just to make sure everything is working, but otherwise I just bide my time and keep focused on the main event. I'll ride an exercise bike, for example, but no longer runs.

I like to think of it as an early, extended taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment