Saturday, March 15, 2008

another good run

Such a pleasant day here. The high was about 65, not a cloud in the sky, very little breeze. A perfect day to push myself to a new level.

For most of the run I alternated between an 8:00 pace and a 10:00 pace, switching every 5 minutes.

Overall I ran 8.11 miles an an average 9:15 pace, which I was very pleased with.

I have found that starting with a very slow pace, say 11 min/mi for the first 2 miles, helps me succeed over the long run, avoid injuries, and eases my recovery.

Afterwards my legs are sore but not very much. Some lower-GI distress, probably from being worked so hard. And it is also very dry here so I have been forcing myself to drink more water than usual.

Recovery included stretching, ice, eating about 30g protein and also carbs, and a half liter of water.

The next long run will be 9 miles, then 10 miles at the end of March. Once I am at 10 miles, I'm going to focus on speed even more. I may also cycle the mileage back down as I get faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment