Monday, March 10, 2008

running gadgets

Almost as important as good running gear, and certainly a lot more fun, are the gadgets runners buy to make running more interesting or easier, or to talk with others about.

I have a basic ForeRunner watch, I think the 101 version. It doesn't interface with anything, takes 2 AAA batteries, and gives only the most crude indicator of how much battery life is left. It tells me the lap pace and the average pace, total distance, etc. It has a little map I can follow to get back to my starting point (has come in handy in trail running). It can capture GPS map coordinates. The GPS takes a while to find satellites, and is easily distracted by surrounding vegetation. I have damaged the plastic around where one of the little metal pins sits that holds the watch to the strap - fell on some rocks 2 years ago, but didn't damage the watch itself, although it did shut off - so that now when someone running next to me bumps it there is a better-than-average chance it will semi-detach itself from the wristband mid-stride. It was what I needed at the time.

I also have a basic black Timex Ironman, the old style. It takes a lickin' etc. I can't set a timer on the ForeRunner, so I have to wear another watch that can. It also lets me know the time even when the ForeRunner dies (again, not much of a battery indicator) and the Timex battery just goes and goes.

I also have the basic version of the Polar heart monitor, but the heart monitor strap disappeared from a gym I was using last year and I haven't replaced it. When I wore it during training runs, I would be wearing three things on my wrists. It felt uncomfortable and I think it looked odd, too, and it was distracting to be constantly fiddling with one wrist or the other.

What I hope Santa will bring me this year (hint, hint) is a fancy new watch that will take the place of all of that (device convergence!). One of the watches I have been looking at is the Polar RS800sd. It does GPS, it does heart rate, and it will even keep time, and download everything onto my computer. It would also look good as an everyday watch, too. Another is the Suunto T4, which is a pretty cool looking watch. It is another do-everything watch. And another is the Garmin ForeRunner 305, though I'm ready to try another brand besides Garmin. Not that fond of "shoe pods" for various electronics, but I understand they are not distracting while running.

One thing I do like about my ForeRunner is that I can change the batteries. Rechargeable batteries have no allure for me. They usually die just when I need them most. They slowly deteriorate in their ability to hold a charge. They don't last much longer than alkaline batteries. And I can easily carry a pair of alkaline batteries around with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment