Sunday, July 6, 2008

15 mile trail run

Ran 15 miles with the Reston Runners starting at the Lake Audubon pool and up towards Great Falls on the Cross County Trail. The course was out-and-back, with a water station at Route 7. I was familiar with the course after the last couple of weeks and that made it easier.

I started at about 6:30, a half-hour ahead of the rest of the group, with the idea of being able to finish with everyone else or thereabouts. That part of the plan worked out well. It was slightly cooler earlier also, but there was no change in the humidity. I drank lots of water and some sports drink along the way and didn't feel nearly as dehydrated as I have on some recent runs.

By the time I was near finishing, though, I new something was wrong. I was getting chills and feeling cold and clammy. I was slightly nauseated, and generally tired. My heart was going normally at about 180bpm (normally for me that is) so I ruled that out. I drank some water and sports drink. When I got home, I felt very hot as well. My ear thermometer clocked in at 102.7F, which is well out of the normal range even for a run in very hot weather. I spent the rest of the day drinking water and resting, took a nap, but my body was telling me the whole time "sick, sick, sick". My temp has been as high as 103.1F today. Think I'll go visit my Dr. tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment