Saturday, July 26, 2008

W&OD Trail 10K

So after this morning's disappointing run, I figured I would take it really easy this evening and just relax.

About 566 people registered for the W&OD 10K race (that's the highest bib number on the race results web site) but only 260 finished the race - no information about DNFs or total attendance.

Saturday had been a hot day all along - 90s, lots of humidity, just nasty - and the starting temp at 6:30 pm was over 90F with +55% humidity - not killer humidity but still feels like a hot towel on your face.

The course is out-n-back on the Trail, starting from 500 feet west of the Vienna caboose going west on the W&OD Trail, slight detour for a mile or so, then back on the trail to Hunters Mill Road turnaround, and then straight back to the starting line. The trail is longer rolling hills at that point - nothing hard, just a wearing slow, steady hill.

I planned on running a 10 minute mile pace because of the weather and my rehabilitation. Slow at first, faster on the way back. The way out is uphill on average. I was feeling well-hydrated.

At the beginning, though, I couldn't run any slower than 9:30-9:45. I did the best I could to slow myself down and run with a slower pack, but people kept on slowing down in front of me. I was making good time when I reached the turn-around.

On the trip back, which is allegedly downhill, there were parts of it that sure looked like uphill to me. But I kept on plugging along.

I passed a younger girl and her dad - Dad was a big guy, muscular, and he was running along fine. Daughter was maybe 12 or 14, and breathing so fast she couldn't catch a breath, at least it seemed to me. Dad talked to her and Daughter just made noises when she exhaled. So I said to Dad, "Is she okay?" "It's really hot and she looks like she's breathing really hard." Well, Dad let me know that they were from Texas and that this isn't anything, and besides his daughter was an animal (his words) and could run forever like this. O-K, so I wished them luck and continued on. But daughter was not looking too happy about it if you ask my opinion.

I hit the 6 mile mark - glance at the watch - 57:50! I can beat 60 minutes. A quick prayer and then I started sprinting! The onlookers at that point clapped, which felt neat.

Glance at the watch - 58:55! I'm feeling nauseated and out of breath but I can see the finish line and the official clock.

Glance at the watch - 59:10! The race director is in the middle of the trail directing runners down the chutes. I considered running over her just because she was out there in the way, but decided to run around her instead.

Glance at the watch as I cross the finish line timing mat - 59:29! Woo hoo! (for perspective, the winner finished in 32:04, less than half my time.) I finished at a 9:35 pace in hot, humid weather, which is usually my nemisis. Running a much shorter race made it very doable.

I snagged some Oranges and sports drink after the finish line, found a space of clean sidewalk to stretch and drip, and just chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment